Just remember that the sooner you are fingerprinted and turn in your application, the sooner you get your license.
MY FIREARMS TRAINING CLASS
ME IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE CLASS
My class consist of two parts, first is the required Orange County Sheriff's Department Power Point class and then a second optional class that covers additonal topics.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department Power Point course covers:
In addition to the
Sheriff's Department Power Point class I also offer as a separate class what I call "Almost Every Thing You Need To Know After You Get Your Handgun License" that covers additional information like:
- Pistol Safety, Parts, and Operation, Ammunition
- Cleaning, Storage, and
- NY PL 35 use of force law
- And other important topics.
Information on additional New York State Laws,
A. PL 265, gun laws and definitions
PL 400, handgun license laws and amending your license
C. Other sections of NY law (See my web page link to: WHAT ARE SOME OF THE STATE LAWS THAT I SHOULD KNOW
Information on the application process.
- How to amend your license if you buy or sell a gun, move, change your name and for other reasons.
- Some of the history of NY gun laws
- Some of the places where you can not carry your handgun
- Some of the gun related laws of area states that are different than NY and that if you unknowingly violate them could lead to your arrest. (Did you know BB guns are treated as guns in NJ and having your kid's BB gun in you car could lead to a felony arrest.)
- Hands on Ammo demonstration
- Demonstration of two types of revolvers and two types of semi-auto handguns and discussion of other handgun types and safety features
- A list and discussion of local clubs and ranges, gun shows and other events
- Books, podcast and groups you should join
- And additional topics and information
The initial Sheriff's Department Power Point class takes at least 3 hours or more and the optional class covers additional topics that take about two hours depending on what else you want or need to cover.
YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE MY ADDITIONAL CLASS IN ORDER TO BE ISSUED THE ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT'S SAFETY CLASS CERTIFICATE.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN TAKE THE REQUIRED SAFETY
CLASS BEFORE OR AFTER YOU ARE FINGERPRINTED BUT REMEMBER THAT THE SOONER
YOU ARE FINGERPRINTED AND PUT IN YOUR APPLICATION THE SOONER YOU WILL GET IT BACK.
AS OF 5/1/2021 YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT SIX MONTHS OR MORE TO JUST TO GET FINGERPRINTED.
New York State is one of the two states that does not trust its citizens to even touch a handgun without
having a license unless you are from 14 to 21 of age and even then you can only shoot a handgun
at a range under supervision of sommeone with a license and they have to meet certian additional requirements.
I also cover some of the New York State Laws that
you might want to know about and where you can find the laws and books
that you can use to answer questions that you might have. I also
go into the details of applying for a LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO E-MAIL
ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED OR YOU WANT TO ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS.
E-Mail from past student:
Thanks for the course today! It was a _LOT_ more informative than
it would be. Believe it or not, I went in expecting it to "drag on"...
actually went pretty quickly! Time flies when you're having fun, I guess
:) Once again, thank you. I learned a lot more than I expected to. Having
been a firearms enthusiast almost all my life and now being a collector of
long arms, and researcher of varied small and long arms, the fact that
there are still unknowns out there came as a pleasant surprise.